Search This Blog

Sunday, January 26, 2014

healthy oppor-tuna-ties

A lot of the time when I have a recipe in mind to make, or I know I want to make something with a certain food, I plan ahead and make sure to have all the ingredients I need. Sometimes, though, I don't plan anything in particular and I just get to use what I have in the house to concoct something to eat.

Opportunities like that yield some of the best new recipes, because I don't feel obligated to make anything any certain way besides how I am in the mood to eat. Yesterday for lunch I figured I would eat a yogurt with flax seed and berries (as I do everyday), but then I decided to do what I could with a can of tuna fish I saw in my cabinet.

Tuna is a good source of omega-3s (which are essential to healthy cell function), vitamin D, protein,selenium,and calcium. Tuna is also abundant in the toxin mercury, and therefore should not be eaten too often, especially for kids.

Making honey lime tuna wraps with lettuce instead of a tortilla wrap minimizes carbohydrates and calories in the lunch, and adds to the fresh and light meal. A serving of tuna is pretty small, so packing the wrap with other foods will fill up the lettuce leaf and keep you feeling full for the afternoon. Feel free to add / take away any ingredients you want for a great and healthy meal!



Here's what you'll need:
yields 2 servings
1 can albacore tuna
1 tbsp Craisins
1 tbsp sunflower seeds
1 stalk celery
1/3 cucumber
juice from 1 lime
1 tbsp honey
2 large leaves iceberg lettuce

1. Drain tuna from the can and mix with Craisins and sunflower seeds in a medium mixing bowl.


2. Chop up celery stalk and cucumber into small centimeter-sized cubes. Add to tuna.




3. Juice a lime and add honey.

This juicer is awesome; if you don't already have a juicer you should totally get one!

4. Wash lettuce leaves and wrap tuna inside.



5. Enjoy!



Resources: http://www.livestrong.com/article/542202-nutritional-value-of-canned-albacore-tuna/

No comments:

Post a Comment