Search This Blog

Monday, February 3, 2014

what crackin'

I'm always looking to minimize the amount of packaged food I eat. Mostly I've replaced foods that aren't fresh produce or meat with homemade versions (Reese's Cups, Trader Joe's Spinach Dip, hummus). One of the things I always find hard to resist is crackers though - Wheat Thins, Ritz, Triscuits. None of the store-bought crackers are too terrible for you to begin with, but depending on the flavor, they may be highly processed, the ingredients may include additives, or they might try and fool you with the nutrition label with a serving size of 5 crackers (how many of us would actually stop after only 5?). So when I found this recipe on Pinterest, I was eager to try it out.

I'm currently in the middle of taking midterms at school though, so I've been putting everything else on hold. It's almost a running joke at this point that whenever anyone has asked me to do something or tried to make plans with me, I've said "Sure... after midterms." I'm just trying to finish out this first semester as best I can.

I had been studying all weekend though (on Saturday I somehow managed to survive rereading and relearning 11 chapters of my AP bio textbook), so for the Super Bowl I decided to give myself a little break. I'm not a football fan by any means, but I do like to be in the know about the commercials, the score, and important plays and such. I timed it out so that I would workout during the pre-show and make myself something to eat during kickoff, so then I could go study a little more until halftime and make these crackers at that point.

Well, my plan changed a little when I found out about today's snow day. Usually, I'm one of few that hates snow days, but today many were on my side. I think at this point everyone just wants to get their exams over with.

Shoveling snow is also never fun. I wish I knew about the snow before I did my workout yesterday, which was predominantly lifting and working out my arms. Now my arms are sore and there is endless snow to be shoveled now, and in a few hours, and tonight, and tomorrow.

Back to blogging though, I'm really happy with how these whole wheat homemade crackers came out. My toughest critic (my dad) even said that they were awesome, as did two of my friends that stopped by last night! I always find that the true test of how "normal" my recipes come out is by anyone but my mom and me.

It's a plus to know exactly what goes into what you eat (that's the beauty of homemade!) Using whole wheat flour instead of processed white flour also adds more fiber to the crackers, and the best part is being able to top the crackers with so many different things!! (Don't worry, I'll get into that.)



Here's what you'll need:
yields 60 crackers
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp paprika
4 tbsp Smart Balance (or any solid butter substitute)
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, paprika, and salt.

I promise I was watching the game!
3. With a pastry blender (or a fork), cut in the Smart Balance until crumbly. It may take a few minutes.



4. Mix together the water and vanilla and then pour it into the flour mixture. Stir this mixture until it comes together (I used a hands to form the dough ball). If it appears too dry, add a little bit more water, but you don't want it to get sticky.

5. On a floured surface, roll out the dough very thin (1/16th inch). Cut into whatever shape you want for your crackers, and place on the baking sheet. Sprinkle lightly with salt or sesame seeds to top your crackers. Bake for 8-15 minutes (depending on how thin your crackers are) - until you see your crackers start to brown on the sides.





6. Now for the best part! These crackers are very basic, so they pair well with almost anything! A few ideas:

Peanut butter and banana: For added protein from the peanut butter and potassium from the banana, this is a perfect snack or breakfast on the go.


Feta cheese and cucumber: Cucumbers have virtually no nutrients, save a small amount of vitamin A and iodine. But they are super high in water content and low in calories for a guilt-free snack. Feta cheese gives a great texture and serves as a good source of protein and vitamin B2.


Salsa!: One of the other processed foods that I've found difficult to avoid are tortilla chips. Packed with sodium, trans fat, and artificial flavorings and colors but with little nutritional value, chips aren't the best snack to pick up. They are also one of those that trick you with the serving size, and they are addicting! I'm a huge fan of salsa, though, so with the right brand of salsa, these crackers are a great substitute for chips!


Cheese and fruit: A very simple treat; choose your favorite cheese and top with fresh berries!


Mozzarella, tomatoes, avocado: Another simple combination, cherry tomatoes are a good source of carbohydrates and protein with minimal calories, avocados are a great source of monounsaturated fat, which has been shown to reduce bad cholesterol (LDL) and increase HDL. The mozzarella is a great source of protein (which is important for energy and muscle maintenance), calcium (to maintain bone structure and protect tooth enamel), and vitamins B6, A, D, and E. It helps maintain healthy skin and vision and the formation of red blood cells. Keep servings of most cheese at a minimum though because many are sources of saturated fats. 






No comments:

Post a Comment