Search This Blog

Saturday, January 4, 2014

give it a Thai

A few weeks ago I went out to lunch with a friend to a Thai restaurant in town. Whenever I had gone in the past, I went for dinner and shared a few dishes with whomever I was with. My friend and I decided to each get separate dishes though, and with the lunch special, we each got a soup with it. I ended up getting a perfect portion of food and it was easier to stop eating when only one plate was in front of me, rather than 3 or 4. I was able to gauge how much I had eaten, and it was a guilt-free lunch outing.

I also really liked the dish that I ordered. Every time I had eaten Thai food before, I would order very similar dishes to what I was used to. I decided to try something new, so I got the mango chicken, and it was delicious. I was inspired, so my mom and I mended a recipe we found to our liking, and made our own mango chicken dish. My sisters are home on winter break now and my dad was home for dinner last night, so my mom and I made it for everyone in the family. We got rave reviews for this recipe, and the cool thing is how simple and healthy it is! The mangoes are a good source of fiber and Vitamin A, which helps with bone growth and healthy eyes. Ginger and apple cider vinegar are important during flu season to keep you feeling your best.


Here's what you'll need:
yields 4 servings
SAUCE:                                                            
1 chopped mango (or 1 cup frozen mango)                  
1 tsp Sriracha                                                      
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar                                    
 11/2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce                      
zest of 1 lime                          
juice of 1 lime
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
3 garlic cloves
2 tbsp water
CHICKEN:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cutlets
1-3 bell peppers, seeded and sliced

1. In a blender or food processor (I used both because my blender wasn't working well halfway through), add sauce ingredients. Blend until smooth. Add a little more water if a more liquid consistency is desired.



2. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Add chicken and coat well.


3. In a wok or large pan, saute peppers in a small amount of olive oil.



4. Remove peppers from wok and heat chicken until cooked through.



5. When the chicken is ready, add peppers back into wok and combine with sauce.




6. Enjoy!!


1 comment:

  1. This is my favorite of your recipes! Cannot wait to try it at school!

    ReplyDelete