Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

what's in my lunchbox

In an attempt to be healthier, one of my friends asked me recently to write down everything I eat on a daily basis for her so that she can start buying food like I eat and start eating like me too. So that gave me an idea for a post. Just in case you were wondering what I bring to school everyday for lunch, here's what's in my brown bag everyday.

It also coincides well with that I'm currently journaling what I eat. I'm going to try and do this for a week or two, just to be able to see how well I actually eat (or hopefully eat) on a daily basis. It should be interesting, and apparently writing everything down is already a way to force people to eat better because no one wants to write that they overate or indulged a few too many times in a week... It's something to think about if you're concerned about what you're really eating and if maybe there are things in your diet - or not in your diet - that you should be aware of.

(This sort of reminds me of MTV Cribs for some reason. Like when the celebrities open up their doors and show everyone each room in their house. I don't know why exactly I compare that to opening up my brown paper bag to you all, but I just wanted to share my thoughts here).

1. An antibacterial wipe. These are a little controversial, and washing hands in a sink with soap and water is preferred, but if used properly, hand sanitizing wipes are not bad. With all the germs in the school, it would be disgusting not to clean them before starting lunch (especially for a slight germaphobe like me). An interesting tip though, when using hand sanitizer or antiseptic wipes, your hands should be moist for 10-15 seconds as your rub them together. If they dry quicker than that, you didn't used enough and you should reapply.

2. Greek yogurt and flax seed. Compared to regular yogurt, Greek yogurt contains much more protein, leaving you full and satisfied for longer. Plus it's low in carbohydrates and easy to digest. With added flaxseed (sometimes I bring chia seeds instead), I get a boost of my Omega-3's, fiber, and vitamin's (including Vitamin B).

3. An apple. They say that an apple a day keeps the doctor away, don't they? I like to fit my servings of fruits and vegetables in whenever I can, especially because I just like them so much. But apples are one of my favorite fruits, and it's also very easy to keep in my backpack all morning without having to think of it being mushed before lunch (in reference to a banana).

4. A dark chocolate Hershey kiss. In ninth grade English I wrote my whole research report on the benefit of eating dark chocolate, so I can promise you that this addition to my lunch is a good one.  One fun fact about dark chocolate is that eating about 30 calories of dark chocolate a day is actually associated with lowering blood pressure! That's just one benefits of dark chocolate, and in my book any benefit is enough for me to keep some chocolate in my day!

5. Snacks for the morning. Although I'm not in the last lunch period my school has, by the time I do have lunch, I get hungry. So I keep snacks in my lunch bag to eat throughout my morning classes or in the hall between classes. If I have a batch made, I'll eat a ball of energy or homemade granola bars. An alternative snack (or sometimes additionally) I'll bring a prune or Babybel Cheese. I can almost guarantee that I won't convince most of you to eat prunes. I don't know what about them most people don't like, but I know most people don't like them. Personally, I think they're sort of just like enlarged raisins, which I'm a fan of. But prunes are high in fiber and protein, and are pretty low calorie. Babybel Cheese, depending on what variety you choose depends on the exact numbers, but the light cheese is only 50 calories and high in protein. It also contains Vitamin A and calcium. Plus it's always fun to unwrap the wax surrounding the cheese, if you ask me!

So just in case you were looking for some inspiration for renovations (back to the Cribs reference) in your lunch menu or if you were just curious what I eat everyday, there you have it!



Resources: 

No comments:

Post a Comment