Search This Blog

Friday, March 22, 2013

easy peas-y

Happy spring break to everyone! (Well at least to everyone that's still in high school!) Just a sidenote before I start that this will probably be my last post for a little over a week since Passover is coming up and I will mostly just be eating fruits, vegetables, eggs, and matzoh all week long. If I end up concocting any impressive Kosher for Passover recipes I'll be happy to share, but chances are I'll just stick to the basics for a bit.

Anyway, yesterday my parents and I had a delicious dinner, filled with vegetable after vegetable after vegetable. My mom made Panko-crusted Tilapia, and on the side we had mushroom and roasted pepper quinoa stuffed in acorn squash, peas, and salad. It was very delicious, and it makes for great leftovers for lunch!

Maybe it makes me sound a little crazy to show so much excitement for a dinner consisting of so many vegetables, tbut I really do like the taste of them, and I'm a big fan of foods that are easy to munch on. My mom knows that if she cuts up a pepper for dinner and the plate is in reaching distance of my seat at the table, the plate will be empty if we sit long enough.

That's why I like peas so much. They're a super easy vegetable to prepare and it's easy to munch on them until they're gone! Plus the taste isn't very overpowering, so it's easy to season peas up with any seasoning that you want! Last night, I made mustard and pepper-seasoned peas, which was a nice combination of spices and a good addition to the dinner table.

Peas are a good source of your starchy vegetables, fiber, and vitamins. What's also good to note is that with frozen vegetables and fruit, more nutrients may be present than in fresh fruit and vegetables. This is because they are frozen just hours after being picked, freezing in all the nutrients before they are lost in the process of getting to your plate. 

Do you see my acorn squash in the background?

Here's what you'll need:
1 box frozen peas
olive oil to drizzle
 mustard spice
ground peppercorn 

1. Preheat the oven to 350. Let the frozen peas defrost from a frozen clump on a pan.



2. Add olive oil and seasonings to the peas, and put in the oven for 20-30 minutes. 


3. Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment