Search This Blog

Saturday, November 10, 2012

it's a ball of energy

Yesterday officially was the shortest school week I've ever had, but I'm honestly very happy to be back at school. I like routine and I like having things to do, so after a while the unexpected break was getting boring for me. I also felt my brain turning to mush after 13 days of not doing classwork or homework, and I'm glad to be back in my classes.

But everyday during third period history, I start to get hungry as my teacher goes off on tangents about his life and how it's sort of relevant to US history. A lot of students in my class seem to munch on something during this period; the girl in front of me has a 100 calorie pack of cookies or Cheese-Its, the girl next to me has a new kind of granola bar all the time. But I try to stay away from processed food, so I whip out my ball of energy.

I originally found the recipe here  but I changed it around a bit to how I like it. It's an easy no-bake recipe made with natural peanut butter (less sugar than your average PB) and oats; one ball holds me over until lunchtime, and it just tastes so good!!

The flax seed is also a great ingredient in these balls of energy, and like chia seeds, ground flax seed contains Omega-3's (the good fats), antioxidants, and fiber. It helps prevent cancer, cardiovascular diseases, and certain types of diabetes too. Plus, it's basically tasteless and blends right into the other ingredients in these no-bakes.

Another great thing about this is that there are so many substitutions possible with this recipe. The original blog I found this on suggested coconut flakes, and you could substitute the chocolate chips for dried fruit, nuts, or just more of the oats or peanut butter. But I personally think the chocolate is necessary!



Here's what you'll need:
1 cup old fashion oats
1/2 cup natural peanut butter (I use Skippy)
1/2 cup flax seed
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup honey (I use a little less)
1 tsp vanilla

1. Toast the oats for 3 minutes (so that they're crunchier).




2. Add all other ingredients into a mixing bowl, and then add the oats once they're toasted. Mix together so that all the ingredients form a big clumped ball together.


*Tip: Did you know that the top of a vanilla bottle is 1 tsp? Saves you a measuring spoon!








3. Refrigerate for 15 minutes, then roll into balls of your preferred size. I usually aim for a 1 inch diameter per ball. That should yield 14 balls.


4. From here, keep refrigerated for up to a week, or what I do is wrap them individually in wax paper and freeze them. Then, every morning when I pack my lunch for school I'll take one out. By third period it's defrosted and ready to be eaten! Enjoy!






reference: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/benefits-of-flaxseed?page=3

No comments:

Post a Comment