Search This Blog

Sunday, March 3, 2013

it's an imPASTA!

Last weekend my mom went to Boston (where my sisters both go to college), so it was just my dad and me at home - which meant going out to Ruby Tuesday's, since no one else in my family really likes it there and I can basically find something to eat anywhere I go. I usually get the Veggie Trio and a soup (although once when I went out with my friends I got made fun of for getting the Veggie Trio and salad bar), but I decided to try something new. I got the Spaghetti Squash Marinara, which was described as "Red pepper marinara tossed with roasted spaghetti squash and tender zucchini". I've had spaghetti squash only once or twice before, and I'm always down to try new things on a menu, so I was excited to order this.

I ended up loving the dish, and as I was forking down the last bites, I thought of a clever pun to go along with the dish, basically forcing me to make my own spaghetti squash at home! The idea just fit so well into the pun, since spaghetti squash is a great substitute for pasta if you're looking for a lower carb alternative but the same idea for a meal. It really is an "impasta"!

Spaghetti squash is a low calorie, low carb substitution for actual spaghetti in your average pasta dish, and counts as a serving of vegetables! It's virtually fat-free and has a good amount of Vitamins C and B6, which are good for your immune system and breaking down and storing energy in your body.

Another plus about spaghetti squash is actually making it. Tonight for dinner my mom and I made our own spaghetti squash dish, and I learned how cool the squash actually is! I misjudged (unknowingly as a spaghetti squash newbie) how much squash we really needed, and turns out one average sized squash is a good amount for 2 fair-sized servings for a dinner dish. We made 2 squash instead, but I guess I'll just have to bring some for lunch tomorrow!

Here's what you'll need:
1 spaghetti squash
1/2 cup spaghetti sauce 
sauteed vegetables (we used bell peppers)
Parmasean cheese

1. Preheat the oven to 350. Cut the spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the seeds.


2. Place the squash halves upside-down on a tin and keep in the oven for 45 minutes.

3. Saute vegetables in olive oil.


4. Scoop out squash insides. (Watch in amazement as the squash becomes like spaghetti)


5. Add squash and sauce to sauteed vegetables. Mix together.

6. Sprinkle Parm cheese on top. Enjoy!! (I also added crushed red pepper.)

No comments:

Post a Comment