Search This Blog

Thursday, February 28, 2013

what did one pancake say to the other?

I made this for breakfast recently and never blogged it, so here is a nice twist on the average pancakes. Have you ever thought to dip apple slices in pancake batter?.. Me either. I found the idea (probably on Pintrest but I don't remember) last year, and then forgot about until recently. So the other day when I was in the mood to make myself pancakes, I used the recipe for my from-scratch single-serving pancakes, but I know not all of you will do that.. So really you could use any pancake batter with this and just use this concept however you like. It's a super easy and delicious breakfast, and I spread some homemade almond butter on top and I was set for the day!

This breakfast is perfect because it has a good variation of food groups necessary. The pancakes have carbohydrates, the apples as well, plus a serving of fruit along with its vitamins and essential nutrients. With the almond butter (or you could spread some peanut butter too), you get protein as well. Protein is a vital part of breakfast, and paired with complex carbohydrates (such as whole grain or that found in fruits - like apples), your body will be able to digest the breakfast gradually, keeping you energized and hunger-free until lunch.

Just a warning, if you follow the recipe I have for single-serving pancakes, along with the apples and almond butter I found that I couldn't eat all of the pancakes. My mom and I split the pancakes and were both full and energized until lunch.


Here's what you'll need:
1 apple
1/2 cup flour (I use about 1 tbsp whole wheat and the rest all-purpose)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup soy or almond milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1. Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl, then pour in vanilla and milk. Mix until combined.



2. Core and slice an apple into less than 1/4 inch thickness.



3. Dip Apple slices in batter, and place on a buttered or sprayed skillet. Flip when bubbles emerge on the sides.


Have you been wondering what the pancake said to the other pancake?.. He said, "See you on the flip side!!"

4. Enjoy!!


Resource: http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/benefits-lots-protein-morning-3574.html

No comments:

Post a Comment