Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

this recipe is pretty a-peeling

It's that time of year that apples are in season! It's one of my favorite fruits, and I could not be more excited for the apple-picking time of year! For now though, I've been eating apples from the supermarket, and last night I decided to make apple chips for myself. I had to stay after school for a few hours for one of my clubs today, and I knew I'd get hungry. These apple chips were the perfect snack to nibble on while working and they're packed with nutrients! Relatively low in calories, apples contain carbohydrates that help metabolize fats, allow the nervous system to function and help muscle tissue hold onto its protein stores. An apple also has a lot of fiber and vitamin C. Your body can't make vitamin C on its own, so it's important to consume it regularly in a diet. Although my apple chips were made of peeled apples, the skin has a lot of polyphenols (a type of antioxidant) that help regulate skin cell growth and reduce risk of cardiovascular disease.

Here's what you'll need:
2 Fuji apples
cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using an apple peeler/slicer or a knife, core and slice apple thinly (the thinner the slices, the crispier the chips).



 

The apple peeler I use takes the skin off, so I ate it separately!

2. Lay apple slices on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with desired amount of spices. 


3. Bake for 1 hour. Enjoy!!





Resources: http://www.livestrong.com/article/287864-what-is-the-nutritional-value-of-an-apple/

No comments:

Post a Comment