Search This Blog

Friday, October 11, 2013

falling for this

A few weeks ago, one of my friends was over my house and we decided to bake pumpkin cookies. I found a recipe off Pinterest, so we tried it out. I didn't check to make sure I had all of the ingredients though, and it turned out that we didn't have ground cloves in my house. All I could find was a container of whole cloves, so the two of us took a meat tenderizer and started grinding our own cloves. It was really amusing, but the cloves didn't get as small as they should have, and we found quite a few big pieces in our cookies. When my mom got home, she went into the cabinet and found that we had ground cloves the whole time..

The cookies were great regardless though, and I decided to make them again tonight. My sisters are currently on a flight home for the weekend so it'll be nice for them to come home to cookies, plus I cannot get enough pumpkin anything these days. Pumpkin puree contains a lot of vitamin A, which supports cell reproduction, vision health, immune function, and bone health. It also has a lot of vitamin K, which helps with blood coagulation and potential protects against osteoporosis. There is a high antioxidant content, offering lutein and zeaxanthin, both of which support vision health.


Here's what you need:
yields 50 cookies
 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, and salt).



2. In another medium bowl, mix together applesauce and sugar. Add pumpkin, egg and vanilla; beat until creamy.


3. Mix in dry ingredients and stir until combined. Drop dough onto a parchment paper-covered cookie sheet. Bake for 30 minutes.




4. Enjoy!!



References: http://www.livestrong.com/article/469900-what-are-the-health-benefits-of-eating-pumpkin-puree/

No comments:

Post a Comment