Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

give me a quiche

In my foods class, we're learning about alternatives to the most common protein sources, and our most recent recipe was a tofu quiche. Since there are half days this week in school (yay for parent-teacher conferences), having this class 4th period is especially convenient as my stomach grumbles by 11:30 and I can't stand the thought of having to wait another hour to eat lunch.

Half days are wonderful because I always think to myself that with the extra two hours I can accomplish so much more, and even though I never seem to end up following through with that, I seem to find the time to do more of what I would want to do on a normal day (like blog and make myself good food). But today I didn't need to do that, because I had this quiche before I got home!

I usually don't use tofu in anything I make for myself, but not really for any particular reason. I can't say that I don't like the taste of tofu because it really doesn't have one (it takes on the flavor of whatever it's being cooked with) I guess I just never think to buy it. Tofu has a few benefits though. It's made of soy and is a complete protein (possessing all the essential amino acids). Tofu is also high in calcium. For vegetarians and vegans, this is an excellent source of both protein and calcium (for non-vegetarians and non-vegans also of course!) but it's important not to eat too much tofu or soy product.


Here's what you need:
yields 1 quiche = 4 servings
3 cups broccoli florets
3 tbsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb regular tofu
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
pinch turmeric

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blanch (boil in 1 inch of water for 5 minutes) small broccoli florets, then drain.



2. Saute onion and garlic in oil.



3. Blend together lemon juice, dry mustard, sea salt, pepper, turmeric, and 1/2 lb of tofu in food processor or blender until smooth and creamy (texture of hummus).


4. In a large bowl, fold in 1/2 lb tofu (crumbled), onions and garlic, and broccoli.




5. Oil and pie pan and press mixture into it. Bake for 30 minutes.


6. Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment