Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

i butternut squash your hopes

I made butternut squash mac and cheese for dinner last night, and it was pretty interesting. And I know that may sound like a turn-off - that's not the first adjective usually used for a spectacular dinner... I'm not going to lie though, in my opinion the recipe was nothing out-of-this-world, but for sure it was a new dinner for me and I'm glad I tried it.

I added a little crushed red pepper on top and it actually ended up pretty good. So before your hopes are completed "squashed", you just have to be adventurous enough to try it. You never know, you may really like it (me and my mom ended up pleasantly surprised - although we couldn't get my dad to try anything squash).

*Sidenote: I didn't realize my camera had low battery, and while the squash was on the stove already... it died on me, so I'm lacking a few shots of the steps during cooking. (Again, not trying to squash your hopes.)



Here's what you'll need:
8 oz whole wheat pasta
1/2 cup fat-free milk
6 oz frozen butternut squash
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dry mustard
Parmesan and bread crumbs to top

1. Prepare the pasta according to the package directions.

2. In a medium saucepan, combine the milk and squash. (This picture is from when they were just put in the pan [pre-battery failure], not when they are combined. At that point the squash should be easily spread apart and less chunky.)

3. Remove from heat and mix with cheese, salt, mustard, and pepper (to taste)

4. Pour drained pasta into a baking dish, stir in mixture, and top with Parmesan and bread crumbs.

5. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes.




6. Enjoy!




*Please don't forget to sign your email up on the side of the blog for all new posts to be sent to you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment