Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

aisle give you another recipe

 So today in my Sociology class, we had a mock wedding. We've been planning this for over a month and it really showed. Each of us in the class had a job and we had to research and prepare like a real wedding. We had a student in charge of the food (the caterer), music, clergy (that's me!), and of course the bride and groom. We had a budget and a color scheme and guests. It was really nice and I'm really proud of how my class put this together.

Here's the wedding in action; Danielle looking excited to be a newly-wed, Jordan breaking the glass as the Jewish tradition in this inter-marriage, me (the blonde Rabbi on the right) and Kristina, the Priest (she's hidden behind Jordan).


And of course I was super excited about the food aspect of it. We "catered" from Subway - we bought 5 foot-longs and cut them into slices so everyone could have sandwiches; one of the wedding planner's mom's made delicious penne vodka, there were cookies and cupcakes and the wedding cake; and I was in charge of appetizers.

This recipe is super easy and really delicious - the hardest part is naming it. What should I even call it to tell you? Well, it's a feta and pepper stuffed cucumber bowl. Quite the mouthful, I know. But in reality it actually is just a mouthful, these bite-sized appetizers are easy to keep popping in your mouth! They really are delicious though. I was determined to find a recipe to make for this wedding that was healthy and I found the idea for this here, but omitted a few ingredients I wasn't sure if everyone would like. My only note for next time is I would definitely try to use a few different color peppers for a nicer appearance.

Anyway, this recipe is basically all good things; cucumbers and peppers and feta with paprika, salt and pepper. Now that I say that, it sounds like it should be called a mini-salad of some sort! Anyway, cucumbers have virtually no nutrients, save a small amount of vitamin A and iodine. But it's super high in water content and low in calories! And peppers have high vitamin C contents and folic acid, fiber, and potassium.


Here's what you'll need:
6 tbsp feta cheese
1 1/2 - 2 peppers (in various colors)
4 cucumbers
salt, pepper, paprika to season

1. Peel the cucumbers (unless you prefer the skin on - which is actually the healthier alternative) and cut them into about 1 inch slices. (Pay attention to the 3rd and 4th row more, I was still experimenting with sizes in the first two rows).


2. Using a melon baller, scoop out the insides of the cucumbers.


3. Cut up peppers into small pieces, add to a bowl with feta cheese (also cut up into smaller pieces). Add in seasoning (to your desired amount) and mix.




4. Using the melon baller, scoop the filling back into the cucumber bowls.


5. Sprinkle tops with pepper.



6. Enjoy!



*Note: You probably will have some extra pepper and feta mix if you use 2 full peppers and 6 tbsp of feta (it's a 1 pepper:3 tbsp ratio here), but I know I was happy to put it on a salad for myself!

This is how much extra I had..


No comments:

Post a Comment