Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

how about them apples?


I found originally this apple crisp recipe on Pinterest (which I totally recommend everyone should try) and I liked the idea of it because both my mom and my best friend are allergic to uncooked apples, and I thought this was a good way for them to enjoy an apple without having to prep too much.

It’s great because it could be a breakfast on the go if need be, or it could be a great dessert. The oats add a nice texture and fiber to keep you full, the cinnamon is good for lowing LDL cholesterol and enervating headaches, and an apple a day keeps the doctor away doesn’t it?

I’ve made this twice so far and changed up the recipe a bit from where I found it. I've also tried it with a pear and it works just as well! I hope you like my changes to the recipe!
  

Here’s what you’ll need:
1 relatively small apple
1 tsp whole wheat flour
¼ - ½ tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp old-fashioned oats
3-4 tsp sugar*

*The thing with this is I ran out of brown sugar the second time I made this, so I was able to experiment a bit. What I found was that it there are a myriad (SAT word of the day) number of combinations of sugar that work. The first time, I used 3 tsp brown sugar granules and 1 tsp regular sugar. The second time I used 2 tsp brown sugar and 2 tsp sugar. Next time I think I’ll try using packed brown sugar and brown sugar granules as a combination. Whatever your combination, I would aim for 3-4 tsp of sugar in total.


1. First, mix together the sugar, flour, and cinnamon on a plate and cut up the apple into thin slices.





 2. Then coat the apple slices in the dry ingredients you just mixed.



3. Put the coated apples in a microwave safe mug, then add the oats and a bit more cinnamon (which is optional – I personally like more cinnamon). Then shake the mug a bit to let the oats seep down through the mug. 



4. Put it in the microwave for 1 minute, stirred everything around with a fork, then put it back in for 30 seconds. Then enjoy!












No comments:

Post a Comment