Search This Blog

Sunday, November 25, 2012

last post was cheesy, this one' s corny

I used to make myself popcorn with different spices every weekend and portion off a baggie a day to bring to school. I stopped doing it a while ago, but last month at my after-school job, my friend Tiffany who I work with reminded me of my popcorn-making days and asked me to make her some for work next week. And tomorrow I have work, so I decided I'd make us some popcorn to munch on.

What I used to do was air-pop popcorn, then spray PAM and then sprinkle spices onto the popcorn. It's a good snack when I wanted something to pick at, I got to choose which spices I wanted, and air popped popcorn is so much better nutritiously than microwave. I had seen online though to use coconut oil to get the spices to stick, so that's what I tried today. It's the same idea, but with the added super-food coconut oil.

Coconut oil is good for so many things! It benefits in hair care, skin care, stress relief, maintaining cholesterol levels, weight loss, increased immunity, proper digestion and metabolism, relief from kidney problems, heart diseases, high blood pressure, diabetes, HIV and cancer, dental care, and bone strength. Coconut oil also helps in brain function and is associated with Alzheimer's treatment. (What doesn't it help with?!)

The spices also add to this great snack. This is a new combination for me, I usually don't use ginger, but I really like how it tastes, and each spice has health benefits as well.


Here's what you'll need:
1/4 cup un-popped popcorn kernels
2 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg

1. Pop the popcorn kernels with an air-popper.


2. Prepare your spice mix!

3. Heat the oil in a small pan on a low setting until the solid oil has turned to a liquid. (It's hard to see in the picture, sorry!)


4. You may need a second set of hands for this part. While pouring in the oil slowly with one hand, sprinkle on the spice mix with the other. Then stop and mix it all around and repeat until you've used up all the spices. (I had a little of oil left over because I didn't want the popcorn to be too oily).



5. My popcorn still came out a little oily, so I spread it out on parchment paper (you could also use paper towels) so the oil could be absorbed a little bit more before I put the popcorn in baggies for tomorrow.



6. Enjoy!!!

Reference: http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/organic-coconut-oil/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html

No comments:

Post a Comment