Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

what's app

As surprising as it is to many who know me, I got an iPhone last week, and I'm actually pretty into it. Which may sound crazy, because up until November I had a flip phone designed for a T-Rex. But I loved it. It worked well and it did what I needed it to, plus it was simple. Until it stopped working well and when I went to make a call it would shut off, and when I went to see a text it would freeze.

Since November I had been using my aunt's Octane (she didn't need it once she got the iPhone), and it was a decent phone. It was simple and did what I wanted it to do. But it wasn't as good as my flip phone was, and I was ready to step into the technological world and get an iPhone. I promised myself I would not become obsessed to it, and I think now that the novelty is wearing off and I'm getting used to it I'm not as distracted.

The best thing about it is that I was added to the group chat between all of my best friends from camp. But the various apps there are out there are pretty cool too. I've been Snap-Chatting all my friends, studying my vocab on the go with Quizlet, Shazam-ing songs, and of course finding good health apps.

If there was a maximum to how many free apps you could download in a day, I would have probably reached that max by 10 AM on Saturday. I've been signing up and trying out as many apps as I can in order to find the best apps (in my opinion) that are out there to track and aid in a healthy life.

What I assumed would happen is I would type in the search box in the App Store "personal trainer" and thousands of amazing apps would pop up with innumerable features to plan workouts, make goals, give tips, track food intakes, etc. What I found instead were thousands of apps that were more specific. So instead of one perfect app, I would like to share with you the various apps that I have on my phone right now that all together do everything I could possibly imagine a phone can do. I got myself an arm band phone case, and with these apps I'm ready to go.



 Nike + Running: This app tracks all your runs, whether they're outside or on the treadmill. You can pick "Powersongs" to boost you up during your workout, and you can turn on settings to give voice feedback after a certain amount of time or distance.







Recipe of the Day Free: I don't know if I'll really every use this, but it was a random healthy recipe app for when I'm feeling adventurous to try a new recipe.



LIVESTRONG.COM Calorie Tracker Lite: This app I thought was cool a few days ago when I got it, but I've already decided I'm not into calorie counting, and I also find it hard to keep track when most of what I eat is homemade and not directly from a package. I feel like I ended up guessing a lot on my recorded food logging, and it seems super inaccurate to me because of my guesses. But if you find that you're in need a calorie counting app, I think this one is one of the better ones.



Fooducate: I personally think this is one of the coolest apps I've found. It also has a tracker for food consumption and exercising and such. But besides that, this app has a scanner for bar codes. When you scan or browse for a food, it brings up a grade for it, calories per serving, and the positives about the food. It also shows negatives about a food, and alternatives if you're interested. I think for anyone who ever shops for food, this app is a must.


 Hiit: I haven't used this app yet for a workout, but it looks like it should be good. You can pick from a few different sets and lengths of the workout, and then it guides you through the workout. For those days that I just want to do some random cardio (doesn't everyone wake up sometimes and have that feeling?) I think this app will be good.



miCoach: This app is made by Adidas and it tracks and helps guide runs and strength workouts, or whatever workouts you want it to. Today I ran with it, and it guided me through with "you're halfway there!" and I put my music on in the background. My only precautions are that for me the GPS signal went in and out continuously, so it was annoying to hear "GPS lost.. searching.. GPS found" almost every minute. Plus, make sure you know what blue zone and green zone are before doing a workout. I didn't know that the different colors were different levels of intensity and so I was a bit off with my run.





Easy Abs: This app I like because they give a lot of different ideas for ab workouts, and the workouts are short (3:00!). That way I can do a few of them if I have the time, or I could not do one for a day and do abs from a different app or on my own. It doesn't track anything that you've completed, it just gives good ideas and how-to's.





Abs Trainer: This app is great. It has a whole list of exercises for abs with and without equipment, then it has workouts planned out as well. They are all different amounts of time, varying from 7 minutes to 18 minutes, and they vary in difficulty too. I have yet to do any of these workouts, but it seems great and it tracks the workouts for you! I also like that this app shows step by step pictures to follow during the workout.







looks promising, right?
look what it did to this picture!!
ABSmatic: So this one I kept for some laughs. In the app store, the picture seemed convincing that it would lead to a six pack, so I was happy to give it a try. The first thing the app asked me to do was import a picture, so I assumed it was like a profile picture as part of the registration or something. I picked the only picture I have on my phone so far, the one I set as my background on my lock screen. It happens to be a group picture of me and my camp friends (I still think our best idea ever was the photo shoot we had one day last summer). Anyway, I kept trying to find the "next" button that would lead me to the rest of the registration, but I couldn't find it. Instead, I accidentally put a huge fake six-pack over some of my friends in the picture. Well, a few minutes later I realized that the app is only a gimmick.  It's so that you upload a picture of your belly and put a fake six-pack on. Well I'll be honest, after laughing at myself, I felt slightly ridiculous.



But I do not approve of fake six-packs. With all of these apps, we can all have REAL six-packs. And what's cool is, these are only a few of the thousands out there that can cater to all of your healthy-living needs!

No comments:

Post a Comment