Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

this [chocolate] bark is up the right tree

One of the hardest things to do when eating healthy is fighting off the temptation of cravings. I know a lot of people who say they could go for a burger and fries when they get in the mood (you all know that's not what I crave), or even a few heaping servings of ice cream. For me, at the end of the day I always find myself wanting a piece (or two) of chocolate. 

Another thing that varies by person is how working out influences food choices. For many, working out balances out those servings of ice cream as a reward. When I have a great workout, I don't want to ruin it by eating something that will make me feel like my hard work went to waste. I recently started working out before school, and I'm finding that my morning workouts act as a great motivator to eat healthy all day long (and keep me energized, contrary to how it may seem that I would be more tired). 

I made this bark recipe once before, but without a certain modification that I added today. The first time, the bark came out very bitter to the point that it wasn't very good. The concept of the chocolate nut and seed bark was something I really wanted to master though, so I tried again today with an additional ingredient that really hit the sweet spot I was looking for to create a guilt-free craving-queller.

This is a great snack or dessert because it's packed with great nutrients. The seeds and nuts provide protein and the coconut oil provides what seems to be everything: coconut oil has benefits for hair care, skin care, stress relief, maintaining cholesterol levels, weight loss, increased immunity, proper digestion and metabolism, relief from kidney problems, heart diseases, high blood pressure, diabetes, HIV and cancer, dental care, and bone strength. It also helps in brain function.. Yes, I know you're probably asking yourself, what doesn't it do? (My friend sent me a Buzzfeed article recently of "15 Reasons Why Coconut Oil is Your Best Friend" which I totally advise checking out.) 

I use coconut oil often and I've blogged about it quite a few times. The newest ingredient that I added to this recipe today, one that I just learned about recently, is coconut sugar. Derived from the flowers of a coconut tree, coconut sugar is a perfect natural sweetener with tons of benefits. It has a low glycemic index and is filled with vitamins, minerals, and amino acids including calcium, magnesium, potassium, zinc, iron, and glutamic acid. Minimally processed and unbleached, coconut sugar may look like brown sugar but far outweighs its nutritional content. 


Here's what you'll need:
yields about 20 servings
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/8 cup honey
1/8 cup coconut sugar
a handful of each of your desired toppings:
sea salt
orange peel
walnuts
sunflower seeds
pumpkin seeds
Craisins

1. Melt coconut oil on the stove top.


2. Combine coconut oil, cocoa powder, honey, and coconut sugar. Mix well.



3. Spread liquid mixture in a tin with parchment paper. Add toppings!



4. Freeze for 2 hours (at least). Break into small pieces.



5. Enjoy!! (Keep refrigerated!)


References: http://www.livestrong.com/article/367337-what-are-the-benefits-of-coconut-sugar/

No comments:

Post a Comment