Search This Blog

Monday, March 31, 2014

how the cookie crumbles

For all the seniors in high school, this is a very exciting time. The final decisions are coming back from colleges, and we all now have only one month until the final May 1 deadline to choose our futures. Some committed to schools early on in the year, and others (including myself) are still figuring everything out. For everyone though, the spring is coming which means our days left in high school are dwindling down! It's an exciting and overwhelming and bittersweet time of the year as one thing comes to an end and another gets ready to start up.

For me, this week made everything feel a little more real. It's coming down to June, and it's hitting me that I'm actually going to college next year. It hit me yesterday especially when my best friend Ronni told me she committed to Rutgers University. It's crazy that all my friends will be in different places next year, as will I. Nonetheless, we're all so excited, and that's just how the cookie crumbles.

Speaking of cookies... here's where the sweet part of the bittersweet comes in: the celebrations. When Ronni told me yesterday that she committed, I was on the drive home from visiting my sisters in Boston for Suzanne's birthday. The first thing I did when I got home was bake for Ronni and bring over a giant celebratory cookie for committing.

Knowing Ronni, who is also a healthy eater, bringing over a batch of sugar cookies or chocolate chip cookies would be a nice thought but also too tempting and they would either remain untouched or all be eaten within a day. Either way I knew Ronni would appreciate something a little healthier and in moderation more.

Because of that, I made Ronni a single serving giant chocolate chip cookie, but the nice surprise is that contrary to the taste, it's a pretty healthy cookie (her sister Callie can vouch that it doesn't taste like there's whole wheat flour in there!) Again I used the coconut sugar that my mom just bought, and because it's such a quick and easy recipe, when you're in the mood for a warm and comforting dessert without the guilt, this cookie is perfect.


Here's what you'll need:
yields 1 giant cookie
4 1/2 tbsp whole wheat flour
1/8 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp coconut sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp applesauce
1 tbsp almond milk
handful chocolate chips

1.   Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, mix flour, baking soda, salt, and sugars. Add in vanilla extract, applesauce, and almond milk and stir until dough forms. Add in chocolate chips.


2. Roll dough into ball, then press into 3/4 in thick circle on lined baking sheet.





3. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until slightly golden.

4. Enjoy and celebrate!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment