Search This Blog

Sunday, May 5, 2013

grate[d] food

Mostly everyday for school, I bring the same lunch. I'm not complaining because I choose that lunch anyway, but I love on weekends being able to make something more exciting and to vary up my lunches. Which is why the other day I was happy to make myself and my mom grilled cheese filled with kale and tomatoes. The sandwich tasted delicious and it was something different than what I normally eat!

If you've been keeping up with my posts, you see I'm into kale these days. It's a total "superfood" that I like to sneak into all of my meals, and there's really not much of a taste to it in the sandwich, only a bit of a texture. Also, out of all the foods out there, one of the few that I really do not like is tomatoes. But I try and put them in sandwiches and salads, where they're sort of bearable, and I'll admit the tomato slices actually tasted pretty good in this grilled cheese. Plus the two types of cheese added a nice gooey texture and grate taste.

With an apple and some almonds on the side, this was an extremely well-balanced meal. It tackled all the main food groups: dairy, whole grains, vegetables, fruit, and protein!


Here's what you'll need:
yields 2 grilled cheese sandwiches
4 pieces whole wheat bread
8 slices Monterrey Jack cheese (or whatever cheese you want)
1/4 cup kale, washed and chopped
1/2 tomato, sliced
1/4 cup grated Mozzarella cheese 
Smart Balance butter substitute to grease the pan

1. Preheat the griddle pan. Slice pieces of cheese and chop kale.

2. Add cheese, kale, and tomatoes to the pieces of bread. Coat the girddle with Smart Balance and place sandwiches on the pan.


 3. Flip the sandwiches when the bottom side is ready.


4. Press the sandwiches down with a plate for best results.


5. Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment